The MedStar Institute for Quality and Safety
The goals of the National Quality Strategy: Better Care, Better Health, Lower Costs provide a framework for six national priorities that are at the heart of MIQS. Those priorities are: Patient Safety, Patient and Family Centered Care; Effective Communication and Care Coordination; Prevention and treatment of leading causes of morbidity and mortality; Health and Well Being of Communities; and Making quality care more affordable.
MedStar Health has embraced organization-wide adoption, and application of, a culture of safety, and invested heavily in developing expertise in quality and safety research, education, human factors, innovation, patient advocacy, and evidence-based care delivery that is both collaborative and patient centered. The MedStar Institute for Quality and Safety provides a mechanism for us to share what we are learning.
- MedStar Corporate Vision: To be the trusted leader in caring for people and advancing health.
- MedStar Health Quality and Safety Mission: To be a global leader in discovering, developing, teaching, implementing, assessing, and validating patient safety and quality initiatives that continually improve patient care outcomes and reduce the global burden of the medical error crisis.
- MedStar Corporate Values:
- Service. We strive to anticipate and meet the needs of our patients, physicians and associates.
- Patient First. We strive to deliver the best to every patient every day. The patient is the first priority in everything we do.
- Integrity. We communicate openly and honestly, build trust and conduct ourselves according to the highest ethical standards.
- Respect. We treat each individual, those we serve and those with whom we work, with the highest professionalism and dignity.
- Innovation. We embrace change and work to improve all we do in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Teamwork. System effectiveness is built on the collective strength and cultural diversity of everyone, working with open communication and mutual respect.